Turn Kinect Snapshots into Minecraft Statues
Nathan Viniconis has figured out a way to take a snapshot from a Kinect and transform it into a MineCraft save file. The Depth and Color information are used to approximate the position and types of blocks to best represent the 3D point cloud in MineCraft.
The breakdown of hacking the Kinect into MineCraft worthy statues is as follows.
- Python scripts
- Getting color and depth Kinect data saved as files
- Opening up a MineCraft world save file
- Determining the orientation of save so a world render will show the image
- Saving the information to a save file
- Adding color data to each rendered block
- Modifying the other data
Then more recently, Nathan was able to animate the statues!
To see the complete and complicated process in its entirety, visit the full tutorial by Viniconis on Order of Events.